7/03/2012


I spent much time in my early youth, to escape the monsters in "Alone in the Dark", to solve the riddles of "Myst" or to build cities with dementia "Sim City".

My parents grumbled, saying that these games were stultifying. And now today, the Gaite Lyrique, and even the Grand Palais devote their exhibitions!

My generation grew up along with the video game. The first game, Spacewar, was created in 1960 but it is mostly in the 80s with the development of arcade games we all been caught Pac-Man and company.

Since then, the economy "videogame" has surpassed film in terms of revenue, and ranks among the cultural industries as well as the music or the book.

However, the video game is an art?

The question is debatable. The ask is already to wonder what a work of art ... In solidarity with the students who took the tray philosophy, I feel I need some floor on the issue!

Well, one definition of art that I particularly like is the one who said that art "makes us see the invisible." It transcends reality. For example, when Van Gogh painted a tree, this tree is unique. At the same time, this tree is so strong, so vibrant, it is a sort of epitome of the tree.

Is there a quintessence of the tree in video 192.168.l.l? Is that reality is transcended in Sonic?

Moreover, the great works of art are also able to reveal to ourselves. For example, we have all experienced great stories to read and say: this writer has expressed what I thought, what I felt so subtle and beautiful! Is there this kind of experience with video games?

Similarly if the art illuminates the world and awakens the conscience, can we say that all games of "Shooter" (literally "kill them all"), participating in an elevation of our moral and political consciousness ? I doubt it!

And finally, we forget that the game is primarily a game of one-Dirait Happy Families game, chess or board game that is art? Certainly not!

Yet video games are original creations, which have their aesthetic and gives pleasure ... They put our bodies and our sense of adventure in the heart and give us to experience sensory and emotional experiences as a novel can do certain works of arts. They immerse us in the universe strong and sometimes poetic.

While art or not? It will probably expect that video games of all recognition to capture an artistic status. And it's not for now! Because the mistrust still rightly or wrongly to the public. Video games are stupid, time, violent and would be detrimental "real" activities.

While for me, spending time clutching a joystick, I have probably more muscular my fingers that my legs so far, this hyperactivity videogame does not make me an antisocial violent and acculturated. The game was never replaced nor the book nor the film or music. It has only become superimposed.